Must You Tell That Story?

I rushed both my dogs to the vet last month when I saw they had snacked on a prescription. I was terrified (Fortunately now they are perfectly fine. Phew!)

While the dogs were at the vet clinic being treated, I asked my dog-loving friends to send healing vibes to my furry kids.

An acquaintance, with the best of intentions I’m sure, told me he was praying for me and then proceeded to give me a play-by-play of how his cousin’s friend’s dog had gotten into something by accident, and they were too late so the dog died. I was looking for different kinds of vibes that day. Must you tell me that story?

Most of us have done it. I sure have.

My favourite sister-in-law (okay, okay, so I only have one) gave birth last year to the amazing, beautiful Hannah. It was the closest I’ve ever been to a pregnancy, and the miracle of it all blew my mind.

What did I do when my brother and his wife discussed the upcoming birth? I told them about a friend who had been in labour for ages and had major complications. Must I tell them that story?

It is about the choice of being present, realizing what we are communicating, and focusing on all the good stuff.

The great news is that I must tell you these stories… My niece is the cutest, smartest child in the Universe (yes, I know… it needed to be said again), Last week I booked a trip to see my niece this fall before her first birthday. I just went on a mini break for free to Prince Edward Island (a jewel on Canada’s east coast) and even visited Lucy Maud Montgomery‘s homestead and Green Gables which I had last seen when I was ten. The staff at the Fundy Animal Hospital rocks!!! And both of my dogs have nearly mastered weaving through my legs for Kelly Wilson’s canine freestyle class. Yes, I dance with my dogs. Google it. It’s cool. This is my fav routine I’ve seen.

What good news story must you tell? Share your happy vibes with us in the comment section!

1. Christine on July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I can so relate to this post. My Mother still shares stories from my youth that make me question whether anyone needs to know every embarrassing childhood fear, experience, etc.of mine. but I do it now with my kids so I guess it’s part of what we as humans do! Share what doesn’t need to shared. By the way, I got to sleep in today until 9am and love Cape Breton! lol

2. Catherine on July 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Awesome! I want to go back to Cape Breton as well! Lucky Lucky you!

3. marthagiffen on July 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I know what you mean! The naysayers can be real downers!

4. Carolyn Hughes on July 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I recently mentioned I was having some minor surgery to my sister-in-law. Big mistake. By the end of the conversation she had given me details of her surgery (40+ years ago) in minute detail and insisted that the doctors were only telling me it was minor when apparently I could easily die from it! Who wants to hear the horror stories! Not me!
    My happy vibes this week come from a letter from my 11 year old daughter. She had been to summer camp and had to write a ‘Thankyou’ to the person who had inspired her the most. It was a surprise and totally lovely 🙂

5. Olga Hermans on July 31, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I love this; I remember the time that I decided to not do this anymore and made a choice to tell only the good things about our past. It is a strange thing that we think we need to tell those more negative things all the time while people are having great things happen to them!

6. Solvita Bennett (@solvitabennett) on July 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You are so right… we all remember the worst that can happen first 😉 Well, as you say we have the choice to share it or not, especially when we are looking to support people. When I was younger, I didn’t even pay attention… well now I am so much wiser! Great story! Thank you!

7. Pat Moon on July 31, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Catherine, you are so right, do we really have to tell that story? I have to confess I have been guilty way, way too many times. I have caught myself anxiously waiting for someone to finish telling me what they are going through or about a recent event in their life so I can tell them about my past experience that was similar… and, yes, our nature is to make our story top theirs. How sad. I must be more aware. Thanks for bringing this to light.

8. Elizabeth L Maness on July 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

opps I have done that..it’s just one of those things LOL What’s awesome is that you realize you are doing that. My Daughter reminds me that I’m doing just that at times and not to .lol There are days when I need a little duct tape on my mouth 🙁

9. Sherie Venner (@trancingqueen) on July 31, 2012 at 10:10 pm

We have all done that, haven’t we and been on the receiving end, too. I am guilty of it, as well…: D So glad your pups are okay? PEI is an incredibly beautiful province, lived there when I was a kid…

10. Michelle DeMarco on July 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm

You know, I had a friend that wrote a blog once and her computer blew up!!! LOL – this is so true…people mean well – but sometimes just a sympathetic hug is better!!!

11. Sharon O'Day (@sharonoday) on August 1, 2012 at 1:20 am

What’s worse is when it turns into a game of one-upmanship! Like we’re upping the ante! Lord knows, there’s enough bad news out there; we don’t have to add to it. So … I got a great haircut today. I found the delicious baby red/yellow/orange peppers I’ve fallen in love with. I took another step closer to a really big project I’m working on. And now my kitties are asking if it’s time to go snuggle in bed yet … 😉

12. Meryl Hershey Beck on August 1, 2012 at 3:46 am

My good news story is also in terms of my dog, Sadie. She has had IBS and was waking me 2-3 times a night to let her out (diarrhea). I took her to my holistic vet last week, and she is now taking herbs and on a restricted diet for awhile (beef, chicken, rice and sweet potatoes!) and her tummy problems seem to be gone. We are going back to dog food soon but she will stay on the herbs.

13. maggiecurrie52 on August 1, 2012 at 7:02 am

I think we have all been guilty of telling that story – lol. You are right, we have to be present and think about what we are saying.

14. Anita Fiander on August 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Gentle reminders for us all here Catherine 🙂 We do have to be present ..As with everything in my life..I am a work in progress 😉

• Catherine on August 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Good point, Anita. The next blog may be… how to be patient with myself 🙂

15. Karen Presecan on August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm

So glad that your furbabies are ok! Your article made me chuckle, because I’ve been there! On both ends. It definitely helps to stop and think before we speak!

16. Lisa Frederiksen - BreakingTheCycles.com on August 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I have so done this and of course, been on the receiving end, as well. Great reminder! My good news story is that I’ve taken up swing dancing lessons — great fun!

17. Lisa Birnesser (@LisaBirnesser) on August 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Been there too, Catherine. it is about staying present in the moment. There are so many gifts that we all haven’t experiences by living in the now. Thanks for the reminder

18. Gretchen Pritts on August 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Happy vibes–love them. Sometimes when they are missing you don’t even realize it, until they return. Thanks for the post and the reminder.

19. carolgiambri on August 7, 2012 at 3:18 am

We have to sometimes when to keep our mouth shut and when to tell the story. Another dog lover here and glad yours are fine. Mine is dealing with 3x Lupus and you can see more on my FB wall from time to time. Great post.

20. Jean on September 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm

My good news, must tell story, is that my grandson who has Aspergers syndrome has made not one but two new friends. They proudly say that they protect him from the “bullies” at their Day Care. One boy actually had a sleepover and enjoyed every second of it. They played on a trampoline, built Mind Craft buildings and played X-box and went swimming together. At one point my daughter-in-law could hear laughing from their guest as he was watching my grandson act out a cartoon, word for word, action for action. The little boy said: “This is way, I love him so much, he can do so many things that I cannot do”. Here is an 8 year old boy who can embrace another, not because of his sameness, but because of his differences. Two exceptional boys finding each other.

• Catherine Doucette on September 21, 2015 at 8:27 am

That is an amazing MUST tell story. Thanks for sharing it. MAde my day!

21. liton on March 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm

We have all done that, haven’t we and been on the receiving end, too. I am guilty of it, as well. Thanks for article.

22. Ripley Vet on March 6, 2019 at 1:15 am

The invites are most wanted and sometimes result in horrible squabbles between members of the identical household. We’ve an uncle and nephew nonetheless not talking after a row, now ten yr’s outdated, over which seat to sit down on.