Making New Choices

It was two decades ago but I remember it well.

I was 22, a recent public relations graduate, and living with my mom while I looked for work. Mom had been doing a lot of changing and growing in her own life recently. I was pretty proud of her. She was taking charge, making new decisions, saying yes to herself and no to other people more often. I was impressed, and I encouraged her to keep it up. She really seemed happier.

One night I popped into her bedroom with my favourite blouse. “Mom, I want to wear my purple shirt on Friday night. Can you fix the hem on the sleeve for me?” I left the shirt on her bed and said a quick, “Thanks!”

Mom followed me into the living room with my shirt in hand. “If you want it done for sure for Friday night, you’ll have to do it yourself. I may not get to it by then.”

“What, Mom?” I asked confused. She repeated herself. I remember feeling frustrated. Then I realized that with all this changing and growing, I too was going to have to adjust. I repaired my own blouse that week.

People may be surprised the first time we change our behaviour. They may not like it. I stopped answering client messages on the weekend. I chose a vendor over a “friendor” because the other supplier could better serve my business. I consciously spend my time with positive people who realize we are all in control of our own lives.

Like my mom all those years ago, my life grows and changes in new and better ways when I make the best loving choices for me.

What do you intend to do differently starting today?

1. marthagiffen on August 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh yes, that is the truth! We teach people who the dance is going to be. If we change the dance, the outcome changes. Good one!

• Catherine on August 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

So right. I didn’t trust my gut recently in a personal relationship, and I felt it afterward. I need to be aware that my gut is saying “look after yourself!”

2. maggiecurrie52 on August 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I intend to stand up for me.

3. Olga Hermans ;) (@ChoicDrivenLife) on August 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Awesome post, some things are not as easy to change, but when we change them our life changes….logical eh?? But I remember when I did things like this on purpose with my children; they were always very thankful after!

4. Susan Critelli on August 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I feel free to say “no” to a project. That has been really huge for me.

5. terressa on August 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Great article. I have made many changes recently for myself and my girls. They are far from easy decisions but there has been some peace along the way . I have also set boundaries in my business. I know that we are always online due to our business’ but we need to unplug and take care of ourselves also . Time out lets us reset and makes us better for oursleves and everyone around us.

• Catherine on August 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

So true. I still struggle with the line of being online. I wish they had an app for my iPhone that said these people’s texts will not be communicated to me phone until Monday!

6. Alexandra McAllister on August 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Great post, Catherine! I know (from experience) some things are a challenge to change BUT once it’s done, it is usually for the best…for everyone! Thanks for such awesome content!

7. Lyn Tuckwell on August 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I’m practicing saying “no” more often. Easy with strangers, harder with family.

• Catherine on August 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

The good news is that it is easier with practice to say yes to ourselves.

8. Sherie Venner (@trancingqueen) on August 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Catherine, I find that when I am comfortable with the change that I am making, it is so much easier for others in my life to accept it. Love the example of your mom…it reminds me of things that my own mother did. : D

9. Sharon O'Day (@sharonoday) on August 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm

One of the joys of getting older is that it becomes even easier to draw lines in the sand. And, yes, it’s often surprising to those who get caught in the transition, as quick or slow as it might be. So what’s my favorite response to the question “Why?” “Because.” 😉

10. Mandy Edwards (@memktgservices) on August 22, 2012 at 1:04 am

Being able to adapt to change is essential. Nothing will ever stay the same. I remember the book “Who Moved My Cheese?” talking about change.

11. Meryl Hershey Beck on August 22, 2012 at 3:29 am

Great post and loved your story about the blouse. What a great role model your mom was for you!

12. Virginia on August 22, 2012 at 4:27 am

Lovely post! I have been working on not being so in-my-head about stuff and actually getting out to live life.

13. Anita Fiander on August 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Great insight Catherine. I think we can all relate. I change things up all the time…I am evolving always 😉

14. Solvita on August 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Change is the only constant in life and we better agree with this earlier than later, it saves a lot of pain. Great content again, love reading your blog!