Who the Bleep Do You Think You Are?

I know that I’m not the only one out there hearing those words every now and then. I used to let that voice in my head stop me.

Now I know that voice and those words are a sign that I am on the right path.

Last week, I went to an intensive writers and speakers workshop in New York City with Hay House Publishing CEO Reid Tracy and best-selling author Cheryl Richardson. Hay House is the world’s largest publisher of self-help books, including Suze Orman, Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, and Doreen Virtue. Some of Hay House’s new authors were at the workshop.

The who the bleep do you think you are’s were so loud that weekend that I was nauseous at times. But I stayed. I learned so very much about me and the business of speaking and writing. And the people I met were absolutely amazing! It was the most wonderful gift I have ever given to myself. I even met with my hero ~ best-selling author Dr. Robert Holden of The Happiness Project and Shift Happens.

Who the bleep do I think I am?

I am Catherine Doucette. Reformed perfectionist (most days). I adore my dogs. I am Über-passionate about being an effective trainer. Born a writer. I need to write like you need to breathe. I’m silly. A generous, loyal friend. A mentee, and a teacher. A gifted, kick-ass speaker and facilitator. A lifelong learner. An entrepreneur. I speak the truth. Sometimes I need to speak in a gentler voice. I’m thrilled, terrified, and excited so much for my second book that I am at a loss for words (a rare occurrence). I’m on the verge of major success.

Now find your courage, ignore that voice, and tell me. Tell us all… Who the bleep are you?

1. Ruth Hegarty on November 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Rock on, Catherine! You are all that and more. What a terrific reminder that we do feel those inner critiques just as we are at a breakthrough – our “un”wise self trying to keep us small and safe. Love the energy of this post!

• Catherine on November 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thanks, Ruth! Have a great weekend!

2. BarbaraJPeters on November 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Great post. Staying strong and knowing that you are capable and worthy. We all have a purpose and are meant to live that purpose.

3. Lisa Frederiksen - BreakingTheCycles.com on November 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I love this one, Catherine. And boy do I know that voice! Once I really owned who I am – a passionate writer, engaging speaker, grateful mom, adventure enthusiast, loyal friend, devoted extended family member, passionate addictions | secondhand drinking expert with unique perspectives on the issues related to the work I do – and then embraced and incorporated them all into one in the fibers of my very soul, my life has been awesome – a true joy to live! Thanks for this post!

4. Carolyn Hughes on November 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Love that you have found the creative, talented, passionate you!
    Inspirational!

5. Meryl Hershey Beck on December 1, 2012 at 12:24 am

Catherine, this is great! And I love how you know yourself and unabashedly own all your parts! And I loved your saying, “I’m on the verge of major success.” Wahoo! You go, girlfriend!!

6. Karla Campos on December 1, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Go Catherine! Best wishes on all your endeavors. I am Karla Campos, impatient non reformed perfectionist, dreamer and hopeless romantic. I am extremely creative and fun and most of all I am a good friend. Nice to meet your Goddess : )

7. Ally on December 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Wow Catherine! This is one of my faves:)Your ownership rocks. My new found career has only begun and this brought complete clarity to my needing to claim my ownership.

• Catherine on December 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks, Ally! I really appreciate that.

8. KJ McLean (@kj_mclean) on December 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm

The main reason those words retain their power is that we all too often let them hang unanswered, echoing in our minds and having the last word. Kudos to you for answering so passionately! Rock on!

9. Lorrie on December 3, 2012 at 12:08 am

Love this blog post! Thanks.

I am, much like you…growing and knowing each day. An archetypal astrologer, organic farmer, personal development consultant. Was an activist and a community organizer – sometimes that stuff rears its head, but I quickly remind it ‘that is SO yesterday!’

10. Te Ratahi on January 18, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Great post! I wonder sometimes who puts those voices in our heads.
    I am Teowai Ratahi and I am a succcessful woman. I am a mother, wife and photographer. These are not things I work at being they are just me. Without my kids, husband or a camera I’d be a different person.