Staying Inspired

We are less than a week into the new year. Chances are you have taken a few moments to consider how you want the new year to go for you. Maybe you made resolutions, goals, or promises to yourself. It’s important to train ourselves to take time to stay inspired as we make those changes.

Here are a few of my favourite ways to maintain a positive focus…

Watch uplifting movies. I recently enjoyed Wayne Dyer’s movie The Shift. To give you some instant happy vibes from the movies, check out its theme song called Song Inside by Ethan Lipton and His Orchestra. It always makes me smile.

Sign up for happy daily emails. Notes from the Universe from Mike Dooley at tut.com have turned my frown upside down on many occasions.

Have a good laugh. In fact, giggle like a child. Over the holidays, I watched three of the animated Ice Age movies with my family, and there was no one under 40 in the room at the time.

Spend time with children or dogs. Borrow them (with permission, of course) if necessary. It’s awfully hard to not smile when a child is figuring out how to use a new toy, or a dog romps with joy through the snow.

I can always use a good laugh or another inspirational lift. What do you recommend?

1. Cheri on January 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

Usually I turn to music to lift my spirits or get my attitude back where it needs to be, though I’m also fond of browsing youtube, because there are some amazingly inspirational things there. I even wrote about it a while back: http://cherisidlechatter.blogspot.com/2012/09/video-therapy.html

And, thanks for mentioning Notes from the Universe. That looks great, and I signed up.

2. Catherine on January 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Cheri, TUT.com does rock! Music lifts me up too… sounds like another blog post coming on… hmmm

3. Geniece Brown on January 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Hi Catherine,

Great reminders! My favorite ways to stay uplifted is to say daily affirmations every time I think of them, and I love music. Good music seems to take you to another place and gives you the sense that you can do anything.

4. Alisha Robinson on January 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I try to do something creative, maybe take a photo or do a quick sketch … spending time with my niece always makes me smile … and if all else fails and I’m just really in a bad mood I smile and I fake it till I make it 😉

5. Nicole on January 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I like to listen to inspiring podcasts in the morning! That plus a daily dose of Bible reading and prayer … with a cup of coffee… makes a perfect start to every day.

6. phyllis on January 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Quite inspiring! Thank you for posting.

7. Angie Schaffer-von Scheffelheim on January 5, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I fully agree with your last point about spending time with children and dogs. The things they do in one day can keep you inspired for weeks. Seriously!

And I also want to add that upbeat, cheesy music (think The Captain and Tennille) is also great for inspiration.

• Catherine on January 7, 2013 at 2:16 am

Cheesy is right. I love Britney Spears “I’m Stronger”

8. Liz on January 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I vote for time with the dogs! It’s a great pick-me-up!

• Catherine on January 7, 2013 at 2:17 am

Yeah, mine are the best for making me smile 🙂

9. visit homepage on September 28, 2014 at 3:39 am

Being lied to by your partner is worse than english cooking.