Take My Advice. I’m Not Using It.

Last week I was chatting with my friend Joanne MacMillan.  A real estate agent by day, Joanne was saying how much she wanted to write more and meet other writers.

I suggested a local group and advised her, “You know, we’re all busy. If you really want to do it, you just need to make the time.”

Then I started to laugh.

“Yes, Joanne, that would be the group of writers I’ve been planning to join for about two years. Take my advice. I’m not using it.”

Joanne and I made a pact to go to the next writers group meeting together.

When I need a message, I find life keeps giving it to me till I get it.

My friend Rachelle Losier and I were working on a marketing project for her store, Artsy Girl Boutique in Saint John. “We’re at a point,” I advised her, “where any reasonable choice is a good one. You just need to make a decision and move forward. We can adjust in a few months if need be.”

I called Rachelle later. “Did you know I was talking to myself this morning? I’ve been stuck on a marketing project for my business. Now I’ve decided that I’m rolling it out next week.”

What sage advice are you desperate to give a loved one or co-worker about their business? their relationship? their finances? Take a moment to consider. Are you telling them to take your advice because you’re not using it?

1. Rachelle on January 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

Catherine, great advice!

2. Tawnee on January 17, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Good point. Giving advise that you feel compelled to give is good but most of the time I feel relieved when someone comes along and gives the advice I was seeking, whether I realized it or not, unexpectedly. Sometimes you just don’t know where you ideas, inspiration and perfect, timely advice will come from. Don’t miss the opportunity to be the one to give it to someone in need.

3. Chris on January 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Great post – and so true. I spend a lot of my time encouraging my clients to do marketing better, but don’t lead by example often enough.

• Catherine on January 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Like the Shoemaker’s children without shoes lol.

4. Denys Kelley on January 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Do as I say and not as I do! So very true in life! I love- take my advise-I’m not using it! Great line. And now – I need to practice what I preach!

5. Kerry Swetmon on January 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Most definitely! “They” say, “we teach what we most need to learn.” “They” are so smart:) Thanks for a great reminder.

6. Nancy Kay on January 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm

It’s easier to encourage our friends to try new things than to face our own fears and take the risks to break out of our own comfort zones. I’ve been very active lately about trying all sorts of new things that I’ve been afraid to do as I’m building my Divorce Guidance and Co-Parenting Coaching biz.

7. Leslie Maddox on January 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm

“Take my advice. I’m not using it.” That totally made me crack up. I’m definitely stealing it! I’ve been trying to not give too much unsolicited advice because most people don’t want to hear it, but there have been times that someone else’s situation and possible solution reminds me of my own.

8. Mark A. Michael on January 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm

“You just need to make a decision and move forward. We can adjust in a few months if need be.”

Those words are so true, better to take action than not. Adjust later if need be.

9. Patti O. on January 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I was just talking about this same idea with my sister this morning!
    A lesson will repeat itself until we take a different action, because apparently what we are doing is not what we should be doing!
    This IS a reoccurring theme between my sister and I. sometimes, when one of us make a suggestion and the advice isn’t taken, the next time the SAME problem is asked…and still the advice is not taken….we ask each other, “How is that working for you?”
    That is our gentle nudge to each other that we have tried not listening or doing before! 🙂
    Love your title 🙂 and I will add that to my repertoire. 😉 thanks!

10. Jenny on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Very good advice!

11. Erica Ardali on January 17, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I see this all the time in my direct sales business. There are always things I want to do but don’t make the time, then I find myself questioning my team on why they haven’t tried “such & such” then reminding myself- well you never did either! It’s a great lesson.

12. Amy Putkonen on January 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

This is such great advice and I think your line about not using your own advice is brilliant! So glad I found your blog!

13. Te Ratahi on January 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm

OMg! That is so true. My cousin and I are both photographers. Sometimes we talk about stuff and I tell her she needs to do the things that I am looking at doing but havent done yet.

• Catherine on January 20, 2013 at 3:21 am

Life is so perfect sometimes, isn’t it! lol