Mirror Mirror What Do You Tell Yourself?

Meet Lucas. I have a feeling he only says good things to himself. He is the happiest person I’ve ever met (shhh he doesn’t know he’s a dog.) I think his mirror work may have something to do with it.

Years ago I used to follow Louise Hay‘s advice to look yourself in the mirror and say aloud, “I love you.” The irony, of course, is the more ridiculous you feel saying it, the more you may need it.

Both Louise and her co-author Cheryl Richardson have a mirror at their desks to help prepare themselves for a call or to write something. It is supposed to be a great way to have a conversation with yourself. A personal pep talk.

This weekend I bought a mirror for my desk. Anyone else want to experiment with me? I’ll let you know how it goes.

1. KJ McLean on January 28, 2013 at 12:59 am

Lucas is awesome. 🙂

As I recover from my accident, one of the things I find myself having to do on a daily basis is look at myself in a mirror for several minutes at a time. (I’m also on a balance board, and looking myself in the eyes is how t make sure I’m centred and straight.) I hate that mirror! It feels so awkward, looking at myself. But maybe I will try this little experiment of yours tomorrow when I’m in the physio gym. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂

• Catherine on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 am

Now you have scheduled time to tell yourself that you rock! because you do, KJ!

2. Janet on January 28, 2013 at 1:07 am

mirror mirror on the wall! i definitely love Louise Hay’s work. i just found out about her only last year, but was familiar with the concepts she teaches before that!

3. Kebba Buckley Button on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 am

Catherine, this is a very powerful exercise! Long ago, I was privileged to be at a workshop Louise Hay was giving. She passed around a heart-shaped mirror, and pressed everyone to look into it and say “I love you” to themselves. When it was my turn, I was shocked to find myself overcome. I sobbed! Now I recommend the same exercise to all my clients. Thanks for a wonderful post!

• Catherine on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 am

Thanks, Kebba. My mom went to Louise’s house years ago. My goal is to meet her before she retires. Talk about a loving goddess.

4. Beth on January 28, 2013 at 1:39 am

I will try this and I will also look up Louisa Hay. I am very intrigued now and want to know who she is 🙂

• Catherine on January 28, 2013 at 1:43 am

Thanks, Beth, for the reminder. I just added the links to the names in my post so you can click and learn more. Louise rocks!

5. Lisa Birnesser on January 28, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Louise Hay is so incredible. I have her affirmation cards and some books. We have so much to learn from pets. The mirror exercise is a powerful technique Thanks, Catherine!

6. Meryl Hershey Beck on January 29, 2013 at 2:10 am

For a long time I looked in the mirror and said, “You’re a beautiful person both inside and out” and then I gagged!! Now I can do it with a smile rather than a gag! 🙂

7. Meire Weishaupt on January 29, 2013 at 2:15 am

This is an amazing idea, I’m lucky becasue I’m surrounded by mirrors, and will try to that often. Thank you!

8. Thinking I might have to get a mirror also! 🙂 Waiting to see how it works for you…

9. Pamela Murray on January 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I think this to be true, but also that we should look in the mirror and say God loves you 🙂