5 Techniques for Positive Power

Sick Young Woman Lying in BedMaybe you didn’t sleep last night, or you received bad news. Or you’re worried about money or that meeting at work. And you start begging Life to not add to your challenges today of all days.

Staying positive is a choice. Some days it is easier to make than others. But it is still a choice.

Here are five effective ways to move from crankypants to positive power.

1      When the alarm goes off or as soon as you can in the morning, take a moment to give thanks quietly. For your bed. For your blankets. For the sun. For the people you love. For waking up. Write them down if you can. At least ten.

2      Keep happy thoughts close at hand. I have a book by my bed. I have homemade affirmation cards with silly stickers in my wallet, on my walls, and on my iPhone.

3     Catch yourself thinking negatively.Then start rephrasing so you are talking about what you do want and focusing on yourself.
For example: I don’t want to deal with Mary at work. Change to: I am willing to communicate assertively with deal with Mary and stay centred in peace.

Vision 2013-01-154     Create a vision board. It’s like goal setting in a scrapbook, on construction paper, or on a poster board. Add words or images that you want to bring into your life. Then place it somewhere you can see it every day.

5   Silence. Whether you call it prayer or meditation or yoga or walking in nature,  become silent and if you’re feeling overwhelmed, ask for help to let it all go.

What do you do to move from being a crankypants to positive power?

1. Liz on January 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Great post. I sing in the shower. That activates the other side of the brain, the creative side where all the power for change resides. Any day that starts with singing is going to be a great day!

• Catherine on January 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm

That’s hilarious because I’ve been caught many times belting out tunes in the car. Evidently I’m so enthusiastic that it is quite easy for drivers passing by to see.

2. Alexandra McAllister on January 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Awesome post and tips! I go for long walks, except when it’s winter and below 0, then I work out, pray or call a friend.

3. denny hagel on January 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Remind myself of my power…Great suggestions!

4. Meire Weishaupt on January 30, 2013 at 2:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I love my affirmation cards, and I feel so good when I read them, even if it is over and over again, but I confess that I should medidate more!

5. Sherie on January 30, 2013 at 2:44 am

I like playing movies in my mind of a positive future. Vision boards are great, too, I have used these, often. Great reminders, Catherine!

6. Delia @ Blog Formatting on January 30, 2013 at 3:38 am

My favourite is #3 and still working on that – works fine most of the time, but not always 🙂

I love the idea of singing in the shower, as someone suggested. Otherwise hot yoga works wonders 🙂

7. jean on January 30, 2013 at 4:31 am

Great suggestions. I use music too.

8. Anita on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 am

Great suggestions! I am in the process of creating a new vision boars…I have just hired new coaches and a whole new world just opened up!

• Catherine on January 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You go, girl. It is your year!!!

9. For me, it is simply a choice. It is a decision that I make all day long. It’s like a muscle, the more you exercise it, the better and stronger you get! 🙂

10. Lisa Birnesser on February 1, 2013 at 3:50 am

Music and gratitude lists work well for me. Getting ready to do a new vision board. Great post, Catherine!

11. Dawn Lanier on February 1, 2013 at 4:28 am

Loved the phrase ‘how to move from crankypants to positive power’ – it was the perfect introduction to your tips. What helps me is looking at my Miracle Jar, where I keep little notes about the blessings I notice in my daily life. It snaps me right out of ‘crankypants’ every time 🙂 Nice post!

12. Carl Mason-Liebenberg on February 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Excellent tips…a long hot, quiet shower is a trick for me! Just renews my mind….some days I need 10 of them though…lol

13. Katrina on February 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Love the vision board. Have one by my bed. Also do positive posts on my bathroom mirror. I use an erasable marker.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing post.
    Yours in Gratitude ~ Katrina

14. Designer Rob Russo on February 5, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I like these … Especially giving thanks when first waking up. And with the popularity of Pinterest, I’m getting more into vision boards!

15. Lorii Abela on February 13, 2013 at 5:56 pm

You are absolutely right. Staying positive is a choice that we make every single day whether we are in a middle of a difficult situation or in a middle of celebrating an achievement. Thanks for sharing all your techniques.