Time Out! Would You Do That for Nothing?

How do you spend your time?

Friday afternoon, I was energized. I had been working with a client’s employees, helping them to plan and polish their public speaking skills. I love teaching, even more than I love chocolate. (That gives you an idea of the level of love and passion I have for my work.)

Are you doing what you want to do with your time? Or are you faking it?

You know what I mean. Multi-tasking when that annoying person calls. Staying at a job you hate. Saying yes to that volunteer gig that already has you grinding your teeth. Are you feeling cranky and stressed even when you sleep? Look at your schedule over the past week or the past month. How do you spend your time?

Poof! You’re a millionaire with a year left to live. You have unlimited resources as long as you do something you love. How will you spend your time?

Angry Birds, Bedazzled, video games, and TV can be fun, but if you only had a precious 365 days left, how much time would you spend doing those things? Is there an idea for a painting swirling through your head? Are you craving going barefoot in the sand? What about that course you’ve wanted to take for ages? Or that promotion you’re afraid to try for? Oooh that vacation? What are you craving to say YES to?

Would you do it for nothing? Because in essence you are doing it for nothing and for everything. How will you spend your time this week? Are you courageous enough to make some new decisions?

1. Martha Giffen on May 6, 2013 at 9:28 am

How we use our time is so important! Also, WHO we spend time with. I have really made a conscious decision to eliminate anyone from my space that brings in negativity. Life is way too short to spend it in a place of negativity. I have found this to be a most beneficial decision 🙂

• Catherine on May 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm

You are so right. The WHO is huge!!!

2. Elizabeth Maness on May 6, 2013 at 10:02 am

I am doing what I love thank goodness! I would do it for nothing but thankful that it’s a great way to make a live!

3. I’ve been paying a lot more attention where I use my time; my focus this year is being focused! It’s what I’ll be working on through the year in all I do. You have great tips here… thanks. Appreciate it!

4. Shari on May 6, 2013 at 11:25 am

Annie Dillard wrote something to the effect that how we spend our days is how we spend our lives. Completely true, and I appreciate your reminder. Thank you!

5. Alexandra McAllister on May 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Great article! I do enjoy what I am doing now. I love sharing health, wealth and happiness tips, articles etc. I also started to take out more “me time” for myself…and my 2 little dogs. If I were to win a million dollars, the only change would be to take a vacation, which I haven’t had in 20 years, then continue to help others get healthy. 🙂

6. Barbara Becker on May 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Yes, I agree. We don’t know when we will be called back to Creator Source and receive another assignment in the Universe. I love my mission and being of service to others, guiding others into their greatness and Self Love.

7. Meryl Hershey Beck on May 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Doing what you love is the only way to live. Even if you are in a position to have to work a job you may dislike, you can make up for it by doing what you love once work is done for the day!

8. Lisa Frederiksen - BreakingTheCycles.com on May 6, 2013 at 8:00 pm

This is so important. I’ve spent this past year really doing a thorough evaluation along the lines you suggest, “If I only had 365 days left, is this how I’d want to spend them?” Thanks for a great post!

9. Tom Holmberg on May 7, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hmmm your post made me think, if I had 365 days to live, would I still be blogging? I don’t know

10. Helena Bowers on May 8, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’ve recently made some decisions to change my business around so that I do get to spend more time doing what I love. It’s all fun, but there are definitely parts of it that I’d rather not do anymore and if I only had a year they would be out the window in 10 seconds flat. 🙂

11. Moira Hutchison on May 8, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Great article! I’m happy to say that I AM doing what I love and I know regardless of income or need I would still be doing this work 🙂

12. Daniele Holmberg on May 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

With 365 days left, I would seriously be more focused on the people that really matter to me and all of the places I want to travel. I seriously love blogging, but sometimes I do get stressed out when I have too much on my to do list, so I would probably just relax.:)

13. Anita on May 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Great topic and one I love to talk and teach about! I have always prided myself in being organized and getting lots done in minimal time…last year after some major changes in my life I had to revisit. The time we spend and who we spend it with is very important…I limit everything but the very important in my life and business now.

14. Leslie Yerger on May 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

There are so many people out there ‘faking it’ – maybe most people even. I lot of time I have spent doing what I am supposed to. As I get older, I am getting better and better at letting go of that. Your post however, reminds me that I might discuss this concept with my kids so that they don’t wait as long as I did to start honoring their time better. Thanks!